Pages

Friday 26 June 2015

The Babe Rainbow

I've been really on my psychedelic kick as of late, discovering a bunch of new bands and listening to some old favourites. I came across this band the only way I know how, through the Youtube recommendations sidebar. The name intrigued me and kinda made me laugh, The Babe Rainbow. What a funny name for a band, so I gave it a listen and was pleasantly surprised. I couldn't find much on the band except what their "About" page on Facebook said but one thing I wasn't surprised about was that they hailed from Byron Bay. I always find myself being led back to that place or just Australia in general. I feel like it's a microcosm of awesome and creativity and everything that's coming from there is pure genius. Must be something in the water? 



Australia's totally on the frontier of the resurgence of the psychedelic movement with bands like Tame Impala and POND and their fashion scene is awesomely creative with a bunch of brands that I've mentioned before on here. The band describes their sound as "punk mushroom". But their music is a dead ringer for something created in the 60's, as is their image, with their vintage lo-fi sound and Eastern Asian influence with the inclusion of the sitar on some of their songs. Now they don't have a full length album, only a couple songs under their belt, from what I could gather, but their full length LP is rumoured to be dropping on July 10th.  



The first song of theirs I heard was "Secret Enchanted Broccoli Forest". The sweet sitar sound at the beginning takes you on a spiritual adventure as soon as the guitar and drums come in. And the video accompaniment is exactly what you'd expect from a song with that title. Makes me feel like I'm part of some gnarly hippie commune and just frolicking in a field or just sitting in the grass, the earth beneath my toes. 




"Evolution 1964" has more of a surf rock vibe with a groovy groove drenched in reverb. The video solidifies their band name, a total babe rainbow! 



I'm totally in love with this band, I can't stop listening to all their songs and am eagerly anticipating their debut LP! I feel like it'll easily be one of my fav's. You can check out Kool Breeze, Arrow and Blue Spirit or simply, The Babe Rainbow, on their Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram and Youtube to be a part of the evolution 1964. 

No comments:

Post a Comment