Pages

Monday 31 August 2015

Time Festival

Time Festival rolled around two Saturday's ago and I had the pleasure of attending. The lineup was short but sweet, including a few greats, making this one worth hitting up. The day was sweltering to the point where by the time I waited in line to get my ticket scanned and let into the festival, I was already all sweaty and dying of thirst. But I trudged through because DIIV was about to hit the stage.  


DIIV hails from NYC and is fronted by Zachary Cole Smith, linked to Sky Ferreira (I love her to death). I'd seen DIIV once before, at a festival in Montreal two summers prior and at that time they had just released their debut, Oshin. This time around, they hadn't released a new album since then, but with a new one set to drop in the very near future (October 2015), via inclinations made from a many a tweets thanks to Smith's Twitter. The set included a few songs from Oshin and a ton of new, unreleased ones. It was great to be able to hear them for the first time in a live setting, heightening my anticipation for the new album. The new songs had their quintessential shoe gaze / dream pop element, but I did notice that these set of songs were definitely more vocal heavy than the last. I guess that's what we can expect for the next album then, to move in a more vocal direction as opposed to letting the musical atmospheric elements take over.   

I think it is better... and definitely more Instagram-able.


I tried Hawaiian pizza for the first time and it's become a new fav!

Ariel Pink went on before Mac Demarco hit the stage and he played a crazy set, equipped with rambunctious hand motions and movements. But once Mac went on, it started to get crowded. This is my third time seeing Mac now and he always puts on a good show. He and his bandmates are the men of the hour, cracking out jokes and just plain absurdities in between songs in the set, making the entire crowd laugh. With the release of Another One, he opened with a track from there, then, moving onto the crowd favourite, "Salad Days". This time around he mostly played songs from his new EP, but in keeping with the usual additions to his set including: "Cooking Up Something Good", "Freaking Out The Neighbourhood", "Ode To Viceroy" (personal fav), "Let My Baby Stay", "The Stars Keep On Calling My Name" and finally, ending the show as he always does with, "Still Together". I had a really fun time, dancing and singing along to all the songs and it was great seeing Mac play in a festival-type setting again. Now here's to the next time I get to see him because I'm sure there will be more times in the future to come!  

No comments:

Post a Comment